Until I became a mom I really do not remember laughing all that much. I mean, of course I laughed, but definitely not like I do now that I have children. Kids may be hard work and they may cost a lot of money, but one of the many paybacks of having kids is having built-in, free entertainment everyday.
This afternoon I snuggled into bed to take a nap with my 17 month old, Coen. I had high hopes that we would be able to nurse and then he would drift of to sleep in my arms, allowing me to keep his warm, chubby little self nuzzled against me while I too drifted to sleep. Instead, Coen decided that there was going to be no sweet drifting off to sleep in mama's arms, he wanted to play and drive mama crazy! Not even his "doggies" could coax him into the blissful sleep that I was hoping would come over him. (Have I mentioned here that Coen calls my breasts and nursing "doggies"? Yeah, 'cause he does, and no, I have never referred to them as "doggies", not even to my husband. I call them "nurses", which is what my other kids also called them. Yet, I swear to you that when Coen cries out "Doggies!!!" he is demanding boob time.)
In my lame attempt to get him to settle down and sleep I turned my back to him in the bed, in hopes that he would get bored and eventually drift off. Instead he threw himself up against my back and started suckling......on my shirt. He knew that this was not normal apparently, as he began giggling like a wee madman each time he took a few sucks off of my decidedly milk-free, 100% cotton top. His giggles sent me into fits of laughter, but there was no way that I was going to encourage this bizarre behavior, so I shoved my blanket up against my mouth to muffle my fits of laughter. My lack of audible or visual response did not stop him though, and the suckling and giggling continued on for a few minutes before he finally decided he needed to get my attention some other way. The little monster resorted to mama's least favorite Coen move, the shoving of his feet into my face and kicking my head until I acknowledge his presence. Thank goodness that daddy was near by and swooped in to take Coen away, saving both my head and my precious nap.
Saturday, April 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- The Finn Family
- More than anything this blog is for us; for our own little family. As the days and months and years pass by we find ourselves forgetting many of the wonderful times that our family has shared. This blog is our way of documenting and helping us to remember.
2 comments:
I just commented to Chris that I thought I smiled a lot more since having kids. Fun story!
This is what I always tell my childless friends about what having kids does--it makes you laugh like a thousand times more often. They are just so damn funny! :D
Post a Comment